POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB] : Re: Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB]
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 10 Feb 2006 16:55:08
Message: <43ed0bbc$1@news.povray.org>
>>The yellow light source inside the flame already has face_distance set.
>>(And face_power=2.)
>

> What's the fade_distance, what's the colour and how big is the scene?

*checks*

face_distance is 50 cm. (For reference, the candle is 20 cm tall.)

Colour is <0.9, 0.8, 0.5>.

>>Now, here's a question. Should I add a blue *light source*, or just make
>>the roof of the box bright blue and let radiosity do the rest?
>

> personally, I'd say scrap the radiosity, but that's because I've never had
> much luck with it.
> Give it a try both with and without if you have the time.

Without the radiosity, almost the entire floor is in shaddow and comes
out pure black. (It's shaded by the candle. BTW, *real* candles do this
also. I have *lots* of candles. What can I say? I enjoy burning things.
Erm...)

Of course, if I add another light source...

>>>The textures in woods.inc and stones.in are quite nice, at least as
>>>starting point
>>
>>Um... isn't that defined as cheating?
>

> No, why would it? It's called not reinventing the wheel when it's not
> necessary.
>
> Irtc doesn't say that you must create everything yourself, just that you
> must give credit for other's work
> Do you not use any of the standard pov includes?

I used functions.inc so I could access f_bozo [which is what generates
that bizzare candle] and f_crackle [for the ice crystals]. But no, I
never use anything else.